Sunday, September 18, 2011

Reading in September

I had so much fun reading Pete the Cat Rockin' in My School Shoes byEric Litwin to the 4 Kindergarten and 5 first grade classes at my school. After 9 readings, it was still fun! If you haven't met Pete yet, you need to!

I also had fun introducing 1-6th grade classes to the fun games Mo Willem has on his website. http://www.pigeonpresents.com/
I recommend taking a break from reading and watching Elephant and Piggie dance together and take time to add toppings to a hot dog for the pigeon. My favorite topping is the bowling ball!

For more serious reading, I shared in a 6th grade classes how to read and think using Sheila Ray and the Peppermint Stick by Kevin Henkes. This idea was shared by TCRWP staff developers and I'm amazes at how much discussion can take place around a toddler board book. I did a follow-up reading and thinking lesson to model recording thoughts onto stickie-notes using The Lemonade Club by Patricia Polacco. I'm only half-way through the read-aloud and know I will need a kleenex soon. It is a beautiful story and requires the reader to use all their reading strategies. A great book to use to model thinking while reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment