Sunday, December 30, 2012

VA 5th grade Writing SOL - planning for an ESSAY PROMPT

The VA Department of Education has released the 44 prompts. As I sort through them, I notice 3 KINDS: ones that require the writer to write an essay response; ones that require the writer to write a small moment, personal narrative; and ones that require the writer to write a STORY, often including fantasy elements.

Here is how a writer can PLAN to write to a ESSAY PROMPT:  A Boxes and Bullet planning sheet can be used.
Prompt: There are many different kinds of entertainment, such as music, games, books, or movies. Explain your favorite type of entertainment and why you like it.

PLANNING SHEET:
A BIG IDEA to place in the BOX is: 
Reading is my favorite kind of entertainment.
  • Because when I read, it takes me to excited places
    • Harry Potter – a world with magic and castles and wands
    • Frindle – takes place in a school, always an exciting setting
  • Because when I read, I learn about other time periods
    • Number the Stars - taught me about the time during WWII
    • Ruth and the Green Book – taught me about the 1960s and the Civil Rights Movement
  • Because when I read, I laugh and sometimes even cry.
    • All of Mo Willems’ books make me laugh out loud. His characters are so funny!
    • Great novels, like Fig Pudding, help me to feel the sadness that the characters feel and I sometimes cry. 
    •  

No comments:

Post a Comment