Monday, April 22, 2013

Favorite Author, E. L. Konigsburg, dies :(

Sad news reported today...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/21/el-konigsburg-dead-dies-_n_3129444.html

My very favorite author, E.L. Konigsburg died on April 21, 2013 at the age of 83.
She is best known for winning the 1968 Newbery Award for:

and the same year won a Newbery Honor Award for:

I clearly remember in 1972, my 4th grade teacher reading aloud From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler to our class. Then, on my own, I checked out from the public library ALL of her books. By 1972, there was a shelf-full. She is the first author that I read and read and read everything she wrote. She is the first author I called "my favorite".

She then kept writing and in 1997, she won the Newbery again for writing A View From Saturday.

I vow to reread and enjoy ALL of her books this summer...
Here they all are, as listed on her Wikopedia page:
And as a teacher, I will ALWAYS introduce my students to her books.
We are lucky...though she is gone from this earth, her books, her stories, remain!

No comments:

Post a Comment