6. At this point, my collegaue and I checked BIG IDEAS and ensured that each of the 3 bullet points were different ideas related to the BIG IDEA. Once we approved it, students could get their blue and pink paper to come out of their notebooks and start to draft their essay, point by point.
7. Drafting lessons included us modeling how I can write a story to support the bullet idea. I can also gather statistics, a list, or a quote. As I gathered writing to support the point, I placed it in the corresponding pink folder.
8. Once each pink folder had a piece of writing or several pieces of writing, I showed how the bullet point on the front of the pink folder can become the TOPIC SENTENCE and how then I can decide how to include the story, list, quote, or stat that I collected. I literally taped pieces of writing together or used arrows to show what to read first, next, etc. I included a lesson on using words such as FOR EXAMPLE, ANOTHER REASON, ALSO, IN ADDITON to have smooth transition to get the point across.
9. Then I taught lessons on how to START and END an essay, emphasizing certain sentence stems they could use as shared by Lucy.
Ways to Start My Essay
1. Tell a story about one person needing the information in the essay:
My daughter came home from school annoyed that she had to read an assigned book. I tell her, instead, to be grateful for this assignment because reading that book will help her live a better life.
2. Many people think reading books is just a fun thing to do. However, I have come to realize that reading is so much more than just entertainment. I now realize that people live better when they read.
3. Have you ever wondered why schools continue to teach reading, even after kids have learned to read by 3rd grade? I now realize that the skill of reading is so much more than just decoding the words. By reading, people live better.
4. Why must students read for 30 minutes a night as homework, after reading that long or longer in school? Read on to find out why reading is so important.
Ways to End My Essay
1. People live better when they read is true. Because of this novels, travel books, and the Washington Post editorial page will continue to be stacked on my night stand and read! How about you?
2. I realize that when I finish a great work of fiction, I add to my strategy list of how to deal with others. Additional useful knowledge is always gained from reading nonfiction and essays. Because I want to live a great life, novels, travel books, and the editorial page of the Washington Post will continue to be on my nightstand. I recommend you read, too, so you can live a better life!
3. I realize that Thomas Jefferson, who said, “I cannot live without books,” also understood that by being a reader, he lived a better life. I realize that novels, informational texts, and editorials must always be a part of my life. With them, I live a better life. I suggest you do the same!