Sunday, December 30, 2012

VA 5th grade Writing SOL - planning a Small Moment Personal Narrative

The VA Department of Education has released the 44 prompts. As I sort through them, I notice 3 KINDS: ones that require the writer to write an essay response; ones that require the writer to write a small moment, personal narrative; and ones that require the writer to write a STORY, often including fantasy elements.

Here is how a writer can PLAN to write a SMALL MOMENT PERSONAL NARRATIVE:  a TIMELINE of the scene can be used and l
ots of details are included so the reader can see what you saw and feel what you felt.

Prompt:  Think about a special event you experienced.
Write to explain the event and why it was so important to you.

PLANNING SHEET:
Special Event:          winning 3rd place in ALL Stars

Topic Sentence:
I have had loads of special events in my life. However, one stands out.
It is the time I got 3rd place swimming 50 butterfly in the All Star Meet.

Timeline:
1st: being VERY nervous just before the start of the race
o   too nervous to sit down and bounced back on forth on my feet. I must have looked like I needed to go to the bathroom!
2nd: Race begins     
o   The starter shouted, “On your marks, get set.” And then the electronic “BEEP” was heard. I immediately dove into the water, kicking and swimming the butterfly
3rd: Swim, swim, swim,
o   really fast turn
o    barely taking any time to lift my head to breath
4th: Slamming my two faces into the wall at the end
o   My timer saying, “great swim…your time is 36.6. I got 3rd
5th:A BIG smile appearing on my face.

Concluding Sentence:
Special events  happen  in my life. However, the time I got 3rd place
swimming 50 butterfly in the All Star Meet is very special to me.
 I got rewarded for being a talented swimmer and I will never forget it!






No comments:

Post a Comment